This research study was performed on 13 subjects and found that there was a significant decrease in the somatosensory evoked potentials (SEP) after chiropractic adjustment of the cervical spine. There was also a significant decrease in the cortical SEP component after the chiropractic adjustment of the cervical spine. This proves that a chiropractic adjustment affects the brain and the body directly. Simply put, chiropractic adjustments restore proper healing and function capabilities of the central nervous system. Millions of children and adults suffer with diseases that are directly related to an imbalance in the brain.
Share this research and join our mission to change the way health care is viewed in our community. To learn more, please contact us by calling 513-561-2273 or schedule an appointment here on our website at any time.
Research Shows Chiropractic’s Positive Influence on Imbalances of the Brain
This research study was published in the 2010 Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics called “Altered Central Integration of Dual Somatosensory Input After Cervical Spine Manipulation.”
Many studies over the past ten years show the influence of a chiropractic adjustment on brain function. This particular study, evaluating thirteen subjects, is a prime example. All subjects had a previous history of neck stiffness, but were experiencing no acute symptoms at the time of the study. The goal of the study was to investigate changes in the intrinsic inhibitory interactions within the somatosensory system following a single spinal adjustment to dysfunctional cervical joints. The findings were as follows:
1. 13 subjects were used for the study.
2. All subjects had a history of reoccurring neck stiffness and/or neck pain but no acute symptoms at the time of the study.
3. Somatosensory evoked potentials were recorded after median and ulnar nerve stimulation at the wrist.
4. There was a significant decrease in the somatosensory evoked potentials(SEP) after chiropractic manipulation of the cervical spine.
5. There was a significant decrease in the cortical SEP component after the chiropractic adjustment of the cervical spine.
6. These findings suggest that the cervical spine adjustment alters cortical integration of brain input.
7. These findings help explain the mechanisms responsible for effective restoration of cortical functional ability documented after spinal adjustment care.
Put simply, these findings indicate that stimulation created in different parts of the body were better received and processed after the chiropractic adjustment. The brain is powerful and controls all performance.
Chiropractic adjustments increase movement within specific misaligned areas of the spine, with a result of increased brain balance and function. Millions of adults and children suffer with diseases that are directly related to an imbalance in the brain. ADHD is one of many. Research like this help better understand and validate specific brain-based results achieved through spinal adjustive care.
People of all ages can benefit from regular Chiropractic care because of its direct influence on brain function and performance.
If you or your child suffers from a disease related to an imbalance of the brain like ADHD, please contact us by calling 513-561-2273 or schedule an appointment from our website. Our chiropractic care will help!